Introduction to Art Therapy
This form of Counseling is highly creative and can be expressed through such things as painting, sculpting, and drawing. An Art Therapist is trained to use special techniques to help the client express feelings and communicate through the use of art.
Although the therapy session will look somewhat different from a traditional counseling session, many common goals remain. People respond differently to different forms of communication. Art Therapy is a desirable and often very helpful alternative to the traditional setting. This may be especially true for someone who has been through counseling in the past and would like to try a new approach.
Benefits of Art Therapy:
- Helpful for quiet/apprehensive clients
- Alternative to traditional talk therapy
- Highly expressive format to communicate feelings
- Helpful option for children
- Fun and creative therapy environment